Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I'm Tired Of Sweating, And I'm Not Just Talking About Broads

My friends, I have some news. For some reading this will be bad news, for some it will be good; but my time on this island is coming to an end.

"One year?" you may be saying. "One year is all you're going to get out of the Caribbean before you call it quits?" Well, one year was all I needed to realize (at least partially) what I want and what I don't want. Here are a few examples:

What I want: To be able to watch and play hockey.
What I don't want: To watch three games in the entire regular season and not play hockey at all.

What I want: To see the seasons change, to shovel snow, to wear jeans for a reason other than fashion.
What I don't want: To continue to sweat through every shirt I ever wear, everyday. I even sweat through my boxers AND shorts for portions of my shifts at Fat Turtle.

What I want: To be able to see my friends and family. To know that to see my best friend and big brother (same person) in Malvern, PA is only a five hour drive away.
What I don't want: The exact opposite. There is an extremely large monetary difference between driving five hours and flying five hours.

The bottom line is its time to move on. Looking back 30 years from now, there is no way I could regret the past year. All the amazing people I've met, all the incredible experiences I've had - shit I sliced my foot on reef cliffdiving on Virgin Gorda which it didn't heal for three months and I still think it was worth it. I had to hobble-dance at the Christmas party. But when it comes down to it, this place is just not for me. I'm glad I know now, before I become a multi-billionaire and buy a timeshare from Matty that would just leave me in misery because I love cold not hot.

I have approximately one month left before I leave. The next post will be my bucket list of things to take care of before I leave this beautiful island. To the few that understand, this is my deathstar - the one greatest thing I have to accomplish before I am done. I just hope its better than Episode I.

(To those who don't get the very end, I recommend you watch the movie Fanboys. Its an epic story, even if you aren't a Star Wars fan).

2 comments: