Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Get Lost Chris Daughtry

I feel like every Tuesday post is going to start the same way: "So it was Monday and we were planning to stay in. But then..."

This time the "But then" is the fact that Adam, Kasia and Mariusz wanted to go to Red Hook. Specifically - Duffy's, which is slowly becoming my favorite bar because of the homeless Rastas and cougars on vacation. Seeing as how they only had two nights left before they were leaving the island, I couldn't resist.

So we get east and walk into Duffy's, and what's this? A group of eight cougars with mostly empty drinks? Just what the doctor ordered. After a quick "get here now" text to DC and a quick drink, I found myself getting a little frisky on the dance floor with Colleen, who is turning 40 this Thursday.

Twice in my life I've had something happen to me that I like to call the Really Phenomenon. This was the second time. Basically what happens is you meet a girl, have a short conversation and go your separate ways, only to have her come up to you ten minutes later and introduce herself to you again, remembering nothing from the first interaction. The first time this happened to me I was in Philadelphia and we were at a bar called Drinkers. I was ordering another round of $1 PBR pounders and a girl came up and asked if I had any quarters. Seeing as how I didn't have any quarters because you don't get quarters back when drinks are in dollar increments, I asked her what they were going to be used for. She pointed to a cup placed high on a shelf on the wall behind the bar, sharing that if we make a quarter in there the whole bar gets free shots. She told me that her name was Clairie and that she did promotional events marketing for the Wachovia Center. We shared a few laughs and I returned to my friends.

Ten minutes pass, and I get a tap on my shoulder. It was a girl, and she told me that her friend thought I was really cute and wanted to meet me. I'm always game to meet girls that think I'm cute, even if it has only happened three times. She steps out of the way, and walking up with outstretched hand is Clairie. "Hi, I'm Clairie, what's your name?" There's only one proper response to this, hence the name of the Phenomenon. And no matter how hard you try, you can't hold it in. REALLY?

So back to last night. Colleen and I are going all Patrick Swayze/Jennifer Grey when the song ends and I return to my drink. This time the Really Phenomenon took only about two minutes to recoil. I dance my way back over to Colleen and she slurs "What's your name?" Before I even have time to respond a Chris Daughtry lookalike comes stumbling across the dance floor and bumps into us. To a drunk cougar, nothing is better bait than an American Idol contestant, so her focus quickly shifted to making out with this dude. That's when the Eva Longoria stunt double said "heyyyyy I was making out with him" and I decided to walk away. After all they don't make mouth-condoms.

Our ride home that night ended up being a taxi that was a pickup truck with two rows of seating in the cab. When we commissioned this taxi's services, we didn't realize there were going to be three Rastas in the cab that were going to ride with us the entire trip. Safe to say, I stayed pretty quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment