Thursday, October 29, 2009

Guest Post by DC - New Vibes

Hi everyone! My name's DC and I'm a little nervous, this is my first time posting on a blog! Please excuse my excessive use of exclamation points, I'm just so excited because I love football! You Americans might call it soccer, but now that I'm on a team down here in the Caribbean, I call it by what its known as worldwide.

Yeppers, you heard right. I'm on a team down here! Its called the New Vibes, and these fellas are the returning champions of the Caribbean league. I met a few of them when I was out at Green House with my roommate/mentor Tim. He had so many girls just hanging all over him that he sent six of them to a table with a guy in a Ronaldino t-shirt. None of the girls were looking at me nor acknowledging my presence (which is good because between you and I, I get nosebleeds when I get nervous) so I asked the guy about his shirt. He told me that since Tim was such a great guy, he'd let me tryout for his team as keeper.

I played D1 soccer in college, so I felt pretty confident in my abilities. I get to the stadium and start warming up. Before the game the teams line up face to face so they can hear you when you wish them good luck. I'm not sure the best way to put this, but I was the only muffin that wasn't burnt. The other team's goalie spotted this right away and started a sing-song musical chant that went something like "they got a white guy, they got a white guy, and he's their keeper, and he's their keeper." Can you imagine that?? I mean its my first game and there are already people making up chants for me! This is the kindest league ever! Since the sweetest mints are compliments, I figured I'd return the favor and tell him that I liked his jersey, it really brought out his eyes. The only downside to the entire affair was that the field was actually a baseball diamond, and my goal line was all dirt.

We ended up winning 5-1, and guess what? I made the team! I'm going to be the starting keeper on the New Vibes! After the game the guys asked if I wanted to go out with them so celebrate the win, but I told them that I was too tired for ice cream and went home instead. But wait - the story gets better. Practices are Sundays at 7:30am! This may be fate, because that's my favorite time of the week to play!

No comments:

Post a Comment