Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Return of the Mack

This post will be broken into two halves - one the typical satirical storytelling and one a bit more serious and personal. I hope you enjoy them both.

Yesterday, I was supposed to work a double shift because Kier was going with Todd to a wine tasting and I agreed to cover for her. What happened instead was DC took the car to drop Ms. Valerie Rae off at the airport, as she was departing that day, making it impossible for K and Todd to go anywhere without calling a taxi. They dropped the idea of sipping fermented and decanted grapes and instead I worked a double because Kier wanted a day off.

It was pretty much the day from hell. I don't need to get into the details but here are a few of the issues I faced in those twelve hours: broken fax machines, blocked up sewage pumps, disabled server connections, neighbors convinced they can negotiate a discount for themselves, emergency gas orders, roommate's farts lingering in the front desk area for hours, late check-ins and having to contact the humane society about a litter of newborn kittens riddling the restaurant. Just to name a few. Somehow I persevered the day and closed up 15 minutes late because a potential guest wanted to see a few of the rooms.

Scene set: it is 8:15pm. I just closed the office, making sure to account for all my nightly duties (except I forgot to clock out - sorry Kier can you take care of that for me?) when all of a sudden I turn to my left and I see a stunning blonde in a pink dress moseying down the stairs. "Whoa," I thought to myself, "what do we have here?" She slowly rose here gaze from the careful steps she was taking to reveal the last thing I expected. It was Rae Rae.

Because of the torrential downpour of rain we had experienced that morning (oh yeah I forgot to mention that - I started my day soaked like a submarine) her flight home had been cancelled and she was going to stay for another night. DC was working the bar, so I begged her to let me go down first just so I could see the look on his face. I'm pretty sure as she was walking down the stairs "Lady in Red" came on and DC shut down any inclination of a conversation with anyone else at the bar. Giddy and giggly, the two lovebirds reconnected for one final and unexpected night together. Christmas had come early.

I've mentioned before that Matty told us "when you meet a girl from Mississippi, the first thing you should do is ask if she knows how to spell it." Well, this was my last chance to ask Rae Rae. Her response, and I'm not making a single word up, was "M, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, crooked letter, crooked letter, I, humpback, humpback, I." What's frustrating is that technically she's right.

Soon Guy and Gal came down to the bar for another deep conversation (I'm being serious - any conversation I've had with Guy has been really deep. Out of four conversations, one was checking in, and the other three were race relations, the theory of marriage, and how minuscule we really are in the realm of the universe). We took our time discussing important philosophies on life while closing the bar, and then it was time to pick up a seriously upset Nicole from the Shipwreck house.

As we made our way back it was clear that Nicole can look good in anything she wears. She would make a plastic garbage bag look fashionable. I mean she paid to enhance the goods she possesses, but hey I'm not complaining (neither did DC when she agreed to let him to see what fake Ds felt like). We head back to the house for a night of drinking, grilled cheeses and laughs.

<end of tape one, please insert tape two>

No comments:

Post a Comment